Story[edit | edit source]
Assignment to Sam[edit | edit source]
BB-28 was initially assigned to Igor Frank of Bridges Corpse Disposal. Igor, Sam and another member of corpse disposal were in charge of cremating a necrotizing suicide victim's body in an incinerator nearby. The truck they were driving was caught in a BT-infested area, and Igor was forced to shoot the other member of corpse disposal, attempting to stop him from causing a voidout. BB-28 is tossed to Sam by Igor before Igor is eaten by a BT, and causes a voidout himself. For failing to save its operative, BB-28 is ordered to be cremated and unknowingly taken by Sam to an incinerator along with President Bridget Strand's corpse. However, upon realizing the BB is still alive, Sam defies the order, and soon after establishes a trance connection with the infant to escape a group of beached things that had surrounded the incinerator.
Realignment[edit | edit source]
Throughout Sam's journey, BB-28 starts to become increasingly attached to Sam, who eventually begins affectionately referring to the infant as "Lou" (short for Louise) – the name he and his late wife were going to give their unborn daughter.[expl 2] Lou is eventually taken from Sam by Deadman, who states that the infant requires realignment between the worlds of the living and dead after having veered too far towards the former by bonding with Sam. Furthermore, Deadman reveals that the realignment procedure may erase Lou's memories, but that failing to perform the procedure would result in Lou reaching the end of her functionality within merely days following.
When Deadman returns Lou to Sam, Lou seems to be more bonded with Deadman than Sam. After interacting with Sam again, Lou's connection with him is eventually rekindled. This connection is later displayed when Lou controls Sam's odradek to protect him from gunfire received from Higgs.
One last delivery[edit | edit source]
When a decommissioning order comes through for Lou to be incinerated, Deadman mentions that Sam may try removing Lou from her BB pod to 'see what happens', in direct contravention of an executive order. Sam then takes Lou to the nearest incinerator.
At the Incinerator West of Capital Knot City, Sam removes Lou from her BB pod and frantically attempts to stimulate activity in the lifeless infant. With a spectral umbilical cord forming tethered to Lou and infant BTs floating above the two, a dejected Sam holds Lou in his embrace. To Sam's surprise, Lou lets out a fussy cry and after looking at Lou he notices her holding a Quipu. Even so many UCA members in the final scenes did wear a Quipu pin, the Quipu that Lou is holding in her hands has chains which is an indication that Amelie brought Lou back to life as Amelie was wearing a Quipu as a necklace. Together with Lou, Sam leaves the incinerator and cradles Lou in an ending drizzle of rain bearing no effects of timefall, just as sunlight breaks through and an ordinary rainbow forms above them.
Ending Credits[edit | edit source]
During the ending credits, towards the end. A brief scene of Sam holding Lou in his hands is shown, in which Sam says "Lou...Louise..."
Interactions[edit | edit source]
There are several actions Sam can perform to increase his connection level with Lou.
- Soothing – Sam may rock Lou to pacify her. If Lou is already calm, she will perform playful gestures to Sam.
- Private room interaction – Sam may interact with Lou in private rooms to increase his connection level with the infant. Occasionally, Sam will have nightmares of Lou. Notable among these are one in which Lou turns around to face Sam bearing the disconcerting face of Deadman; and another where after a playful exchange with Sam of tapping its BB pod's glass, Lou will irately headbutt herself free by breaking through the glass.
- Playing "BB's Theme" to Lou – Sam may whistle the song to Lou while walking or resting in-place. You can preform this action by pressing the button to "Call out", while resting. After receiving the harmonica from the Musician, Sam may play the song to Lou on the instrument while resting.
Actions that increase Sam's connection level with Lou include:
- Running fast and jumping
- Going across zip-lines
- Playing music
- Escaping BTs without confronting them
- Reaching maximum speeds with a vehicle
- Giving likes to other players
- Having structures used by others
- Passing through a "Good work, BB" sign
- Killing giant BT's
Actions that increase Lou's stress levels include:
- Killing enemies.
- Taking damage from enemies
- Falling from great heights
- Getting too close to or dragged by BTs
- Being swept away by deep river currents
- Submerging her BB pod in water
Notes[edit | edit source]
In-universe[edit | edit source]
- Lou releases heart shaped bubbles in her BB pod.
- Lou will become dismissive of Sam in private rooms if he becomes inebriated from drinking Timefall Porters.
- At the end of the game Lou will say her first word: Quipu
Out-of-universe[edit | edit source]
- Sam first refers to BB-28 as Lou at the beginning of episode 6.
- Nearly all instances of "BB" in Death Stranding's user interface are replaced with "Lou" after BB is taken for realignment in episode 6
Explanations[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Characters and groups in Death Stranding
|Bridges||Sam • Die-Hardman • Deadman • Mama • Heartman • Lou • Igor Frank • Nick Easton • George Baton • Benjamin Hancock • Jake Wind • Viktor Frank • William Lake • Thomas Southerland • Owen Southwick • Alex Weatherstone • Charles Khan • Phillip North • Aaron Hill|
|Homo Demens||Higgs Monaghan|
|United Cities of America||Amelie • Bridget Strand|
|Preppers||Chiral Artist's Mother • Collector • Cosplayer • Craftsman • Doctor • Elder • Engineer • Evo-devo Biologist • Film Director • First Prepper • Geologist • Junk Dealer • Ludens Fan • Mountaineer • Musician • Novelist's Son • Paleontologist • Peter Englert • Photographer • Roboticist • Spiritualist • Timefall Farmers • Veteran Porter • Wandering MC|
|Other characters||Cliff Unger • Lockne • Lucy Strand • Lisa Bridges • Bridge babies • MULEs • Stillmothers|
|Entities||Beached things • Extinction entity|
|Manufacturers||Cicada • Solstice • StrandWolf • WellMax|