|This article is about the otherworldly entities. For the track from the original score with the same name, see Beached Things (score).|
Gazers are floating BTs which manifest with the onset of timefall. They sense by sound, and thus, are unable to sense Sam while he is immobile and holding his breath. If Sam moves, gazers will disappear and only become visible again once he stops moving. Gazers can be temporarily immobilized with a bola gun infused with Sam's blood; while immobilized by a bola, gazers will remain visible to Sam even while he is moving. Hematic grenades (Lv.1) can take out Gazers when hit directly and will drop chiral crystals after death. The odradek also detects the next nearest BT, if any, as a result, showing that the Gazer is been killed. Gazers will also investigate any attacks that happens near them, slowly gliding towards the point where the attack happened. Gazers come in two forms, one as an adult, and another as an infant.
If Sam cuts the cord of a Gazer, they will fall back into the other side. The BT will also give Sam a like, indicating they are happy to be sent back.
If provoked, Gazers will start moving towards any source of sound. This is visually identifiable as tar handprints moving towards the source of sound. Gazers are sensitive to the sound of breathing when up close, and if breath is not held will rapidly approach sam.
If a hunting Gazer reaches Sam, a pool of Tar will spread beneath him, and Gazers will reach out of it and attempt to drag him down. Sam must shake these off and flee to the edge of the tar. If successful the hunting BT will vanish for a time. If not, the Gazers will drag Sam away into a confrontation with a Catcher.
If Sam has triggered a Voidout in the nearby zone, and therefore there are no areas suitable for a Catcher fight, Gazers will be golden and will instantly kill Sam if he gets caught, meaning the player will have to reload their save file. Golden Gazers will also appear in certain areas and Catcher battles.
Catchers are large BTs that appear when Sam is dragged away by Gazers. Catchers have a core of matter from the other side within them, and if Sam is eaten by them, this reacts with him to explode in a Voidout. Catchers form an arena of thick tar which old buildings and rubble constantly emerges and sinks. Sam must either destroy the Catcher or flee to the edge of the arena. If he flees, the Catcher will manifest, and all BTs will be gone from an area for a short time. If the Catcher is killed, all BTs will leave and a large amount of Chiral crystal will form. Defeating or fleeing a Catcher will always cause Timefall to stop for a short time. Catchers come in multiple varieties.
- Dolphin (β): A porpoise-like being, with a mass of stubby tentacles that erupt from around its head. This creature has a variety of lunging attacks, one of which is telegraphed by a flashing light in its mouth: this particular one can grab Sam, and therefore trigger a Voidout. This catcher is fought by Sam after he is dragged away by hunters in the Japanese Death Stranding release date trailer.
- Lion (β): A lion-like quadruped, with a mane of oily tentacles surrounding a featureless head. When the creature roars an orifice-like mouth is revealed. This catcher has multiple melee attacks, telegraphed by either its paws or tail glowing. Additionally, it can attack from afar with a Chiral laser. Hideo Kojima refers to this type of catcher as 雑魚 (zako, lit. "small fish"), and has noted that it is one of the weakest of catcher-type BTs.
- Dolphin (α): An unnamed large slug-like creature, with a set of stubby tentacles surrounding its 'head', as well as larger wing-like tentacles sprouting from its back. A golden skull-like protrusion sits atop the frontal head area of the creature. This catcher is a harder, more resilient version of the Dolphin fought in the overworld, and is manifested only once by Higgs.
- Lion (α): A massive lion-like quadruped, with a mane of oily tentacles surrounding a segmented golden carapace. When the creature roars an orifice-like head is revealed beneath this golden faceplate. This catcher has multiple melee attacks, telegraphed by either its paws or tail glowing. Additionally, it can attack from afar with a Chiral laser. This catcher is a harder, more resilient version of the Lion fought in the overworld, and is manifested only once by Higgs.
- Fragile can see BTs with higher clarity than Sam. Amelie can perceive BTs to an extent that allows her to circumnavigate BT-occupied areas entirely.
- The sudden influx of BTs at a given moment has been described as the increase of "chiralium density".
Characters and groups in Death Stranding
|Bridges|| Sam • Die-Hardman • Deadman • Mama • Heartman • Lou • Viktor Frank • Bridge baby |
Divisions: Corpse Disposal Team 6
|United Cities of America||Amelie • Bridget|
|Preppers||Ludens Fan • Musician • Wandering MC|
|Entities||Beached things • Five floating figures • Extinction entity|
|Manufacturers||Solstice • WellMax|
|Other characters||Cliff • Mules • Stillmothers|