|This article is a stub.|
It is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about a subject.
You can help Death Stranding Wiki by expanding it.
A cryptobiote a day keeps the timefall away.
A cryptobiote is a small life form in the world of Death Stranding which, when ingested, replenishes a small amount of a person's blood. They seem to be capable of traveling between Earth and "the other side".
Cryptobiotes were not seen prior to the Death Stranding, indicating that they originate from the "other side".
D-Cryptobiotes[edit | edit source]
The Novelist's Son will reward Sam with a jar of D-Cryptobiotes for completing some deliveries. He explains in a mail that the "D" stands for "Dream".
Notes[edit | edit source]
- Cryptobiotes and Blood bags are the two primary ways Sam can restore his health/blood.
- One cryptobiote will restore 25 blood.
- When used, Sam will eat as many cryptobiotes as needed to restore his blood level in one bite.
- You can find cryptobiotes in the wild, in coral formations.
- The chiral matter in Sam's urine can attract cryptobiotes to the mushrooms that grow in the urination spot. The more other players all urinate in the same spot, eventually lots of cryptobiotes will appear in that location (5+); more than will be found in a coral hive.
- When Fragile visits Sam in his private room, she gives him a jar of cryptobiotes that can be eaten any time he is in the room.
- If you hold the button to collect cryptobiotes instead of tapping it, you collect them faster and you will be able to collect more before they run away.
- Reaching the rank 4 of connection with Heartman unlocks the cryptobiote accessory with which it will be easier for you to catch the cryptobiotes.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
- Cryptobiosis is a metabolic state of life entered by an organism in response to adverse environmental conditions such as desiccation, freezing, and oxygen deficiency. In the cryptobiotic state, all measurable metabolic processes stop, preventing reproduction, development, and repair.
- They resemble tardigrades, aka Water Bears; although much larger.
- This is probably because of their capacity. Tardigrades are real-life "cryptobiotes", as they are capable of enter in cryptobiosis for a long time, even years.
- The trailer suggested that a eating a cryptobiote is capable of thwarting the onset of timefall rain.