|This article is a stub.|
It is too short to provide more than rudimentary information about a subject.
You can help Death Stranding Wiki by expanding it.
A cryptobiote a day keeps the timefall away.A cryptobiote is a small life form in the world of Death Stranding which, when ingested, replenishes a small amount of a person's blood. They seem to be capable of traveling between Earth and "the other side".
Cryptobiotes were not seen prior to the Death Stranding, indicating that they originate from the "other side".
The Novelist's Son will reward some with a jar of D-Cryptobiotes for completing some deliveries. He explains in a mail that the "D" stands for "Dream".
- Cryptobiotes and Blood bags are the two primary ways Sam can restore his health/blood.
- One cryptobiote will restore 25 blood.
- When used, Sam will eat as many cryptobiotes as needed to restore his blood level in one bite.
- You can find cryptobiotes in the wild, in coral formations.
- The chiral matter in Sam's urine can attract cryptobiotes to the mushrooms that grow in the urination spot. The more other players all urinate in the same spot, eventually lots of cryptobiotes will appear in that location (5+); more than will be found in a coral hive.
- When Fragile visits Sam in his private room, she gives him a jar of cryptobiotes that can be eaten any time he is in the room.
- Cryptobiosis is a metabolic state of life entered by an organism in response to adverse environmental conditions such as desiccation, freezing, and oxygen deficiency. In the cryptobiotic state, all measurable metabolic processes stop, preventing reproduction, development, and repair.
- They resemble Tardigrades, aka Water Bears; although much larger.
- This is probably because of their capacity. Tardigrades are real-life "cryptobiotes", as they are capable of enter in cryptobiosis for a long time, even years.
- The trailer suggested that a eating a cryptobiote is capable of thwarting the onset of timefall rain.