History[edit | edit source]
It is known that 70% of his body was harvested from cadavers, while the remaining 30% was grown from pluripotent stem cells. He was originally a coroner at some point.
Post Death Stranding[edit | edit source]
After the Death stranding, a final interview with Deadman reveals the truth about his origin. His story of being created from pluripotent stem cells was a fake (more of an exaggerated truth): he was born via in-vitro fertilization but in an artificial womb. However, he did acquire lacking organs from cadavers. He also reveals that during his time with Lou, he was able to visit a Beach, though not his own. Despite not having his own Beach, he is able to traverse the Beaches through connections from others, and has thus "put a great many worries of mine [Deadman] in perspective."
Personality[edit | edit source]
Deadman is affable and well-meaning. However, he is ashamed of his nature as an artificial human, calling himself "Frankenstein's monster". This has instilled a great deal of loneliness in him, and he reaches out to Sam as a result.
Trivia[edit | edit source]
In-universe[edit | edit source]
- Deadman expresses his loneliness to Sam saying he has no wife, no children, and no friends, but only until he meets Sam things start to change. Deadman is "Frankenstein's monster, I have no soul, no beach. that's why I try to connect myself with you. I am a Deadman."
- Deadman is categorized as a "Homo religiosus" by Heartman due to his "transcendental, sublime" relationship with death, saying that it is "his faith".
Out-of-universe[edit | edit source]
- Deadman was first introduced in Death Stranding's TGA 2016 teaser trailer.
- At TGS 2018, Ishizumi revealed that Deadman "is quite funny, and may be the character with the most lines in [Death Stranding]".
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
Characters and groups in Death Stranding
|Bridges||Sam • Die-Hardman • Deadman • Mama • Heartman • Lou • Igor Frank • Nick Easton • George Baton • Benjamin Hancock • Jake Wind • Viktor Frank • William Lake • Thomas Southerland • Owen Southwick • Alex Weatherstone • Charles Khan • Phillip North • Aaron Hill|
|Homo Demens||Higgs Monaghan|
|United Cities of America||Amelie • Bridget Strand|
|Preppers||Chiral Artist's Mother • Collector • Cosplayer • Craftsman • Doctor • Elder • Engineer • Evo-devo Biologist • Film Director • First Prepper • Geologist • Junk Dealer • Ludens Fan • Mountaineer • Musician • Novelist's Son • Paleontologist • Peter Englert • Photographer • Roboticist • Spiritualist • Timefall Farmers • Veteran Porter • Wandering MC|
|Other characters||Cliff Unger • Lockne • Lucy Strand • Lisa Bridges • Bridge babies • MULEs • Stillmothers|
|Entities||Beached things • Extinction entity|
|Manufacturers||Cicada • Solstice • StrandWolf • WellMax|