I make deliveries. That's all.
According to the official synopsis of Death Stranding:
During a field operation, Sam and two Corpse Disposal Team 6 operatives find themselves surrounded by mysterious entities after one of the CDT 6 operatives is trapped underneath a turned vehicle. When the two operatives are overcome by mysterious entities, Sam is caught in an explosion triggered by a larger entity absorbing one of the CDT 6 operatives.
At some point, Sam is offered a job working for the unidentified Fragile Express woman. He is again encountered by her just as mysterious entities begin manifesting near him. After the entities leave, Sam and the woman watch as five floating figures survey from the sky momentarily until they disappear. Afterwards, she warns Sam to be mindful of the mysterious entities' return and remarks that timefall cannot wash everything away – the ever-clinging past in particular – before departing.
Though he cannot see them, Sam is able to sense mysterious entities.
Behind the scenes Edit
During a podcast with Dan Fogle, Reedus revealed that Sam "has got this phobia of being touched, and as you play the game the phobia leaves you".
- Sam's havok suit in the TGA 2017 teaser trailer has the numbers "0914-137" printed on the front of it. Congruent to this collection of numbers is Psalm 137:9, which is 14 words in length: "Happy is the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks."
- Sam shares Norman Reedus' demon tattoo on his right inner bicep, and "Big Bald Gallery" tattoo on the back of his right hand.
- The Mysterious Soldier is said to be an antagonistic, rival figure to Sam.
- ^ a b DualShockers – "Death Stranding — Here Are All the New Details Shared by Hideo Kojima and by the Japanese Cast [UPDATED]"
- ^ IGN – "Kojima Explains Death Stranding Gameplay and Lore"
- ^ Reddit – "Dan Fogler's podcast with Norman Reedus"
- ^ YouTube – "Death Stranding - PlayStation Experience 2016: Panel Discussion | PS4"